Our experts are standing by to answer them.
Call: +27 (0)11 656 0020
Cherwell Software Remains a Challenger in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Tools
Gartner 2017 Magic Quadrant For IT Service Support Management Tools
Cherwell Software remains a challenger indicating good execution, growing market share and improvements to ITSM products and overall viability levels enough to participate well in the general-purpose market with competitive products.
IT service support management tools are vital for infrastructure and operation organisations to manage support and delivery of IT services. This research profiles key vendors of enterprise ITSSM tools to help I&O leaders make better selections.
The vendors that formed Ivanti with their merger in January 2017 were previously in the Niche Players quadrant, but their combination has meant that Ivanti has a stronger base from which to challenge the market leaders if it can execute effectively.
Pink Elephant Analysis from Gartner Highlights
- BMC has edged right from Service now, suggesting that Gartner see them as the more visionary organisation, but the Service Now toolset has better functionally than BMCs Remedy. (This score was based on the new addition of Remedy Smart IT user interface and Smart Recorder)
- ServiceNow continues to dominates customer shortlists and its ITSM tools’ revenue market share is double that of the closest competitor.
- The new merger of Heat and Landesk (Ivanti) has moved them from niche to challenger, but Cherwell retains a significant lead in toolset functionality.
- In the 3rd quarter of 2017, HPE will spin off its ITOM software including ITSMA to UK – based Micro Focus, a vendor that has a history of maintaining the status quo of its acquired products instead of nurturing them. HPE stopped selling Service Anywhere in late 2016, shortly after the announcement to sell the ITOM software portfolio to Micro Focus, and consequently has no SaaS-based ITSM tool offering on the market.
- Very little difference in the other toolsets suggesting that stagnation in the market is setting in for some vendors. It’s the 3rd year running that most vendors have been in the same (or very similar) spot
Cherwell Software offers one ITSM product called Cherwell Service Management that is targeted at organisations with medium to advanced I&O maturity. This tool is evaluated in the Critical Capabilities companion research.
Cherwell has continued to drive good customer engagement and attract a loyal following of satisfied customers.
Cherwell has increased its capabilities in wider ITOM functions and maintains a growing set of third-party integrations and community-driven extensions to its platform via its Mergeable Application (mApp) Exchange.
Cherwell spends a larger percentage of its revenue on research and development of its ITSM tool than its competitors in this Magic Quadrant.
More about Gartner:
Gartner Magic Quadrant research methodology provides a graphical competitive positioning of four types of technology providers in fast-growing markets: Leaders, Visionaries, Niche Players and Challengers. As companion research, Gartner Critical Capabilities notes provide deeper insight into the capability and suitability of providers’ IT products and services based on specific or customized use cases.